Wednesday 28 January 2015

Former Barcelona and Real Madrid midfielder Luis Figo to stand for Fifa presidency.

Former world footballer of the year Luis Figo has become the latest candidate to throw his hat into an increasingly crowded ring in the battle to unseat Sepp Blatter as Fifa president.

As Dutch FA president Michael van Praag outlined his credentials in Amsterdam, Figo unveiled his candidature and claimed he had the requisite five nominations from among Fifa’s 209 members.
“I look at the reputation of Fifa right now and I don’t like it. Football deserves better,” said the former Barcelona and Real Madrid player. “Football has given me so much during my life, and I want to give something back to the game.”
Figo, who is funding his own campaign, said the tipping point had been the chaos surrounding the suppression of Michael Garcia’s full report into the controversial bidding race for the 2018 World Cup in Russia and the 2022 tournament in Qatar.
“Throughout my career I have worked at all levels of the game,” he said. “This has given me a unique insight and understanding that I feel can enhance the discussion about the future of Fifa and the future of football.”
The former Portuguese international was immediately backed by his compatriot, José Mourinho, who said: “Luis Figo’s candidacy is a great step forward for football. His career over many years grants a better future for Fifa.
“I believe in his character and determination, as well as his passion for the game. He will be a president focused on football and its general improvement, acting closely with all federations.”
Figo and Van Praag have joined Prince Ali of Jordan, who will be nominated by the English FA at a board meeting on Thursday, in emerging as contenders who will have gained the requisite nominations by Thursday’s deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment