Sunday 30 November 2014

Senior Republican aide apologises for saying Obama's daughters should 'show a little class'.

senior Republican aide has apologised for her comments about President Obama’s children, in which she claimed the girls should “show a little class” after they appeared next to their father in fashionable clothing and looking slightly bored during an official address the day before Thanksgiving.
Many joked about the First Daughters’ awkward stances as they stood next to their father during the pardoning of turkeys ‘Mac’ and ‘Cheese’, while many in the room laughed at the girls' swift response of “Nah” when asked if they wanted to pet the birds.
Elizabeth Lauten, spokeswoman for Republican Congressman Stephen Fincher, instead accused Sasha, 13, and Malia, 16, of being disrespectful in a now-deleted Facebook post, and chastised the girls for their choice of clothes on the day.
Her deleted post read: “Dear Sasha and Malia: I get you’re both in those awful teen years, but you’re part of the First Family, try showing a little class. At least respect the part you play.
“Then again, your mother and father don’t respect their positions very much, or the nation for that matter. So I’m guessing you’re coming up a little short in the ‘good role model’ department.”
She continued to berate the girls’ for their appearance, advising them to “rise to the occasion and act like being in the White House matters to you. Dress like you deserve respect, not a spot at a bar,” the BBC reported.
Ms Lauten, who has since faced sharp criticism and calls for her to resign, has apologised for her comments.
She wrote in an apology that she had spent “many hours of prayer” thinking about her comments, talking to her parents and re-reading her words online, claiming that “I can see more clearly just how hurtful my words were”.
“I’d like to apologise to all of those who I have hurt and offended with my words, and I pledge to learn and grow (and I assure you I have) from this experience.”
She said she had “judged the two young ladies in a way that I would never have wanted to be judged myself as a teenager”.

No comments:

Post a Comment